Fun facts about the Unsilent Night route

Phil Kline's Unsilent Night tomorrow is a combination of free music & a walking tour. The Yale University Visitor Center shared some interesting information about the route of "Unsilent Night" with the Festival:

Davenport College and Pierson College (James Gamble Rogers, 1933) are named for the Reverend Abraham Pierson, Yale’s first president, and the Reverend John Davenport, co-founder of the New Haven Colony and the first to propose the establishment of a college here. Both are red brick and Georgian Revival in style, except for the York Street façade of Davenport, which is Collegiate Gothic in granite and limestone to harmonize with the neighboring buildings. Davenport students were initially nicknamed “hybrids,” reflecting the structure’s architectural style.

The School of Architecture (former chairman Paul Rudolph, 1963) is a prime example of Rudolph’s urban modernist style. The vertical ribbed lines were produced by pouring concrete into wooden frames, which were then removed so that the concrete could be hammered to expose the final texture.  Art was first taught at an American university in this building at Yale in 1869, when the School of Fine Arts was founded. The Architecture school, originally a department in the School of Fine Arts, became its own graduate professional program in 1972. The School of Art moved to 1156 Chapel Street in 2000.

Yale Center for British Art (Louis I. Kahn, 1974) Designed by the same architect who also built the Yale University Art Gallery, this building was Kahn’s final work. It was established by Paul Mellon ’29, whose 1966 donation of private British art (over 50,000 paintings, prints, and rare books) has made this museum the most comprehensive collection of British art outside of Great Britain itself. The museum houses the work of artists such as William Hogarth and Thomas Gainsborough, as well as a diverse collection of significant prints and manuscripts from British history.

New Haven Green (1638-41) The central square of New Haven’s original nine-square plan, this space served as common ground for meeting and trade. It still plays host to numerous cultural events and is home to three early-nineteenth-century churches, two of which – Center Church and Trinity Church – were built by Ithiel Town.

Old Campus So named because it is the oldest part of campus, it is also America’s first collegiate quad. Many of the buildings on Old Campus house first-year Yale College students. The block was originally filled with buildings, known as “Old Brick Row”, much like the still-standing Connecticut Hall.

Phelps Hall and Archway (Charles Coolidge Haight, 1896) Constructed in the Tudor style as the symbolic “entrance” to Yale University, facing the New Haven Green and the rest of the city, it was the final connecting link in the quadrangle of High Victorian Gothic halls that comprise the Old Campus.

Dwight Hall and Chapel (Henry Austin, 1842-46), the former Old Library and Yale’s first Gothic Revival building.

Durfee Hall A dormitory for freshmen in Morse college, was home to the fictional Rory Gilmore and Paris Geller in the fourth season of Gilmore Girls.

Saybrook College (1933) Formed by the division of the Memorial Quadrangle into two colleges, it is named after Old Saybrook, where Yale was first founded.  Parts of Saybrook, like several of the other gothic buildings on the campus, were featured in the movie “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”.